Jay's Internet Log

WC 2017 Day 4 – Falmouth, Jamaica

by on Dec.12, 2017, under Vacation, Western Caribbean 2017

During the night Regal Princess transited the Southern sea of Cuba called Cayman trench with a course of 251 degrees to arrive at 06:45 to Falmouth Pilot station where we embarked our pilot and where we started our berthing approach turned our bow to Starboard and then moved astern to Falmouth South Cruise terminal, where we were alongside Port side and all lines fast at 07:48.

I awoke as we were getting close to land, went out on the balcony, and watched as this enormous ship spun around on itself and backed up into port. I love this type of maneuvering. I had thought that we’d be the only ship here, but after breakfast, as Heather was lathering suntan lotion on me on the balcony, I saw Allure of the Seas coming in. That ship has 6500 passengers on board, and it dwarfed us.

We didn’t have a tour booked here, so we all disembarked and walked around the shopping area. We needed to get a small battery for Dad, and I needed a USB cable as the one I brought would power my camera, but not transfer any photographs. We had to leave the confines of the shopping area to do this, and boy was it sketchy out there. We found what we needed, Mom and Heather went back to safety, but Dad and I wanted some photos of the two large ships, so we headed off in the other direction. We couldn’t really get where I wanted to go, so we eventually turned around and headed back. Heather and I bought some small items including a carved Santa Claus, which we’ll put in our display case when we get home.

Clouds started rolling in, so we headed back to the ship and had burgers and fries. The burger cook was all alone, and he wasn’t in a good mood… probably because he had no help, and the line was growing longer and longer. He cooked a great burger though! There was a medical emergency near one of the pools, and a bunch of deck-hands surrounded the injured and put up little tents to block the views. He was taken away on a stretcher with his hand up, so we all knew he was okay. Kudos to the crew for taking care of him quickly, and keeping his privacy intact throughout. His little daughter was very scared.

After lunch, Mom, Heather, and I took a dip in the Retreat Pool for a bit, then headed back to our rooms to relax for a few hours before dinner.

We all had Southern Fried Chicken for dinner, and then went to see a new production show called Born to Dance. It was fantastic. They took little bits and pieces of different Broadway shows and displayed dancing from each of them. This was the last night of performances for this set of dancers, and they were very good. I guess tomorrow we’ll have new dancers on board.

This evening, with all pre-departure checks complete and all passengers and crew onboard, Regal Princess commenced singling up her mooring lines. With all lines gone, we lifted off the berth, moving ahead, making our way out of the harbor. [EDIT] – This navigation note seems very generic compared to the rest. We stayed in port for a good hour to avoid winds, but that wasn’t stated.

No comments for this entry yet...

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!

Visit our friends!

A few highly recommended friends...